Visual and Performing Arts Education
“The arts can no longer be treated as a frill.”
– US Education Secretary Arne Duncan’s Remarks at the Arts Education Partnership National Forum April 9, 2010
New Mexico Arts Standards and National Arts Standards
The revised Standards for Arts will embrace the idea of Artistic Literacy and Processes – the ability of students to create art, perform, produce and present art, respond to or critique art, and connect art to their lives and the world around them.
The arts are essential to a world-class education. Studying the arts helps to develop critical habits of mind—creativity, collaboration, communication and critical thinking that lead to college, career and civic readiness. These skills have been recognized as essential to lifelong success both in and out of school by a variety of education and civic leaders, including the National Association of State Boards of Education, the Education Commission of the States, and The Conference Board.
The content areas covered by these model arts standards include:
- Media Arts
- Visual Arts
- National Arts Standards
- Proposed National Arts Standards
- Existing New Mexico Arts Standards
- Letter from US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan in support of the arts education
- Fine Arts Education Act: Letter from NMPED Secretary, Christopher Ruszkowski
Elementary Arts Funding
- 2016 FAEA Winter Meeting: District Arts Coordinators, Teachers, and Administrators
- 2017 School Arts Professional Development and Networking
New Mexico School Art Exhibit
Visit the Student Art Slideshow for images from past state fair shows.