Skip to Content

Alternative Administrator License (Pre K-12)

////Alternative Administrator License (Pre K-12)
Alternative Administrator License (Pre K-12) 2018-01-02T15:00:56+00:00

An applicant who has earned a post-baccalaureate degree and has at least 6 years of administrator experience at the post- secondary level is issued a 1-year non-renewable internship license. To receive a standard license, the applicant must complete an internship of at least one full year (160 instructional days) while holding the internship license and working as an administrator.


Initial License

  • $125 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
  • Alternative Application; and
  • Official sealed transcripts Master’s Degree , or Doctoral Degree in teaching field; and
  • A letter verifying a minimum of 6 or more full school years (Defined as a minimum of 160 days) of administrative experience at the post-secondary level. Verification of experience should be provided by the human resource department of institution on an institution letterhead.

Renewal License

  • If your level 1 alternative license has expired, and you did not work as a classroom teacher on your alternative license, you can submit for a one time renewal. We will renew your license for the year(s) you did not work your license. Submit the following:
  • $125 money order or cashier’s check fee;
  • Alternative Application
  •  Notarized form for extension.




Upon completion of the program, the candidate must submit the following documents to obtain full licensure:

  • Superintendent Recommendation Form for Post-Secondary Experience verifying that the candidate meets competencies as delineated for the type and level of licensure sought



Note: Your application will be returned if:

  • The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date; or
  • The money order is not completely filled out or signed. The Professional Licensure Bureau does not accept other forms of payment.

Note: Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.

Note: NMPED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.




  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address


  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).

All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.



Page last updated January 2, 2018