The purpose of K–3 plus is to demonstrate that increased time in kindergarten and the early grades narrows the achievement gap between at-risk students and other students, increases cognitive skills and leads to higher test scores for all participants.
The program extends the school year for K–3 by 25 instructional days beginning before school starts. The K–3 plus program provides funding for additional educational time for students in kindergarten through third grade in eligible schools. K–3 plus eligibility includes public schools in which eighty percent or more of the students are eligible for free or reduced-fee lunch at the time the public school applies for the program or an elementary school with a D or F grade the previous year.
Pending final legislative decisions for FY 19, and pursuant to Section 22-13-28.2, is a companion application that serves to capture information from Districts and Charter Schools of their interest in participating in a Pilot called “K-3 Plus 4 & 5.” The Pilot criteria includes: new or expansion K-3 Plus programs at School Districts and Charter Schools that keep students who participate in K-3 Plus with the same teacher and cohort of students during the regular school year. Only for those programs beginning in July 2018 are eligible.
Guidance is provided on how to complete the K-3 Plus 4 & 5 application. The same eligibility requirements as indicated in Statute for K-3 Plus must be met.
- Annual Report | 2016-2017
- K–3 Plus Special Education Frequently Asked Questions
- K-3 Plus Statute
- K-3 Plus Administrative Code
- Summer 2018 K-3 Plus incl 4 & 5 Technical Assistance Guide
- K-3 Plus Assurances
- K-3 plus 4 & 5 Assurances
- K-3 Plus Summer 2018 JUNE Programs School Application
- K-3 Plus Summer 2018 JUL-AUG Program School Application
- K-3-plus-4 & 5-Summer-2018-JUL-AUG-SCHOOL-Application
- K3 PLUS 2018 application part 1 narrative
- K-3 plus 4 & 5 PILOT 2018 application part 1 narrative
- Summer 2018 K-3 plus District funding and budget summary
(The password for the video is “nmped”)
Completed applications due back to the PED on or before – March 15, 2018
Districts notified of awards – No later than April 15, 2018
Jerry Apodaca Education Building
300 Don Gaspar Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Phone (505) 827-6526
Fax (505) 827-6563
K-3 Plus Coordinator
K-3 Plus Coordinator