Skip to Content

Occupational Therapist (Pre K-12)

////Occupational Therapist (Pre K-12)
Occupational Therapist (Pre K-12) 2017-12-26T08:56:16+00:00

Instructional Support Provider is anyone who provides services for a public school or state institution as an educational assistant, school counselor, school social worker, school nurse, speech-language pathologist, psychologist, physical therapist, physical therapy assistant, occupational therapist, marriage and family therapist, occupational therapy assistant, recreational therapist, signed language interpreter, educational, alcohol and drug abuse counselor, substance abuse associate, and other service providers who are employed to support the instructional program of a school district or charter school.


Initial License

  • $125 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
  • Initial application; and
  • Official sealed transcripts from all Universities/Colleges attended with degree(s) posted; and
  • Copy of valid certification of Occupational Therapist license issued by the New Mexico Occupational Therapy Licensing Board OR Valid license from the American Occupational Therapy Certification Board.


Renewal License

  • $95 fee, cashier’s check or money order will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $125.00 would apply; and
  • Application for NM Continuing Licensure; and
  • Superintendent’s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead); and
  • Copy of current, valid certification from the NM Occupational Therapy Licensing Board.
    • Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.
    • You can renew after completing 160 days as an instructional provider.

Note: Your application will be returned if:

  • The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date; or
  • The money order is not completely filled out or signed. The Professional Licensure Bureau does not accept other forms of payment.

Note: Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.

Note: NMPED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email. Please check your spam/junk folder.


  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address


  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.