Language and Culture Bureau
As part of the implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act, the Language and Culture Bureau will take a broader role within the New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) and serve as the lead for language, culture, and equity within the Teaching and Learning section of the NMPED. The Language and Culture Bureau will serve as the contact on:
- implementing state-funded Bilingual Multicultural Education Programs;
- meeting Federal obligations to English Learners by providing English Learner Programs that support students in becoming proficient in English and achieving academically;
- leveraging the Title III English Language Acquisition Subgrant to maximize positive impact and outcomes for Immigrant students and students served in English Learner Programs;
- effective World Language instruction;
- the Seal of Bilingualism-Biliteracy on New Mexico Diploma of Excellence; and
- Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Instruction.
The Language and Culture Bureau looks forward to continued collaboration as we work together to provide student-centered, equitable instruction that is culturally and linguistically responsive.
Language and Culture Bureau, Formerly Known As the Bilingual Multicultural Education Bureau Memorandum
News and Important Dates
SAVE THE DATE–NMABE-INSTITUTE LAS CRUCES_2018
SAVE THE DATE–NMABE CONFERENCE 2019
The PED’s Language and Culture Bureau (LCB) works to ensure the implementation of the state Bilingual Multicultural Education Act (Chapter 22, Article 23 NMSA 1978) and related New Mexico Administrative Code (6.32.2 NMAC) as well as the federal Title III, Language Instruction for English Learners and Immigrant Students, of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA, 2015).
The Language and Culture Bureau serves with effective leadership, timely customer service, and relevant technical assistance to support districts and schools across the state of New Mexico implementing Bilingual Multicultural Education and Title III Programs addressing the academic learning and language needs of emergent bilinguals, English learners (ELs) and immigrant students.
New Mexico’s children have access to effective bilingual multicultural education programs providing culturally and linguistically responsive, rigorous instructional programming that supports all students—including English learners (ELs) and immigrant students—to become bilingual and biliterate, meet and exceed all content area standards, demonstrate academic excellence, and experience school success such that students are prepared beyond the classroom to lead productive, purposeful lives in service to the larger community.
The Language and Culture Bureau’s core values are anchored in our strength of working together as a team. We are committed to moving forward with purpose and efficiency to make a real difference for our stakeholders.