67- Licensure Code
NOTE: If an elementary teacher is seeking a bilingual endorsement they must obtain or have a TESOL endorsement. If a secondary or pre k-12 teacher is seeking a bilingual endorsement they must obtain or have endorsements in TESOL and Modern, Classical & Native Language.
Beginning Teacher Pathway
Beginning teachers adding the endorsement to an initial license must satisfy the requirements for the license which include:
24-36 semester hours in bilingual education and pass Prueba.
Teacher with Existing License Pathway
Teachers seeking to add the endorsement to an existing NM teaching license of any level can either:
Pass Prueba and complete 12 semester hours in the teaching of bilingual education courses (see course listing below); or
Be certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in bilingual education.
Accepted Bilingual Coursework
- Culture (history of the Southwest, literature of the Southwest, education across cultures, etc.)
- Instructional methodology of bilingual education
- Instructional methodology of English language development (ELD)
- Language other than English—up to 12 hours in, for example, Spanish, Native American, Chinese
- Parent/community involvement
New Mexico Administrative Code