24- Licensure Code
All reading courses with RDG prefix, coursework for teaching of reading or any literacy courses that are reading methods coursework. This includes the teaching of writing.
Pathway and Assessment
- Beginning teachers adding the endorsement to an initial license must satisfy the requirements for the license which include 24-36 semester hours in reading, and
- Teachers seeking to add the endorsement to an existing NM teaching license of any level can either:
- Pass the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) in Reading from NMTA (or) beginning January 1, 2020
- Pass the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) in Teaching Reading: K-12 from PRAXIS or
- Earn 24-36 semester hours of credit in reading (12 of the hours must be upper division credit if adding the endorsement to a secondary or pre k-12 specialty license); or
- Be certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in reading.