45- Licensure Code
Beginning Teacher Pathway
Beginning teachers adding the endorsement to an initial license must satisfy the requirements for the license which include:
- Earn 24-36 semester hours in technology education; 12 semester hours of which must be upper division credit.
Teacher with Existing License Pathway
Teachers seeking to add the endorsement to an existing NM teaching license of any level can either:
- Satisfy the requirements for a teaching license and earn 24-36 semester hours in technology education; 12 semester hours of which must be upper division credit; or
- A degree in instructional technologies or a related field; or
- Demonstrate competencies through an Alternative Performance Assessment Process.
There is no assessment.
Alternative Route to an Endorsement in Information Technology
Purpose of the Alternative Route: Many experienced and capable technology coordinators and prospective technology coordinators in New Mexico have not completed formal academic training in technology but have talent, expertise, knowledge, and skills in this area. Many have acquired specialized skills and expertise informally through school district professional development activities and through self-directed training. Through the alternative route, the Public Education Department recognizes those individuals with specialized skills and expertise in technology.
- An Application for Endorsement Only with the requisite fee of $95.00, cashier’s check or money order, payable to the PED
- A portfolio that describes the applicant’s qualifications and experiences
- A letter from an employing authority that certifies the applicant’s job experiences
- A resume
- The completed matrix of the competencies for entry-level Information Technology Coordinators (Attachment A)
- The Alternative Route to Endorsement in Information Technology Coordinator Checklist (Attachment B).
- Once received, the PLB will review the application packet for completeness.
The Review Process
1. The director of PLB reviews the applications using the NM PED information technology coordinator competencies as the criteria.
2. The director of PLB reviews the portfolio presented and either issues the endorsement or provides the applicant with a written list of deficiencies, along with suggestions for removing those deficits.
Accepted Information Technology Coursework
Includes any coursework specific to computers.