TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
27- Licensure Code
Beginning Teacher Pathway
Beginning teachers adding the endorsement to an initial license must satisfy the requirements for the license which include:
24-36 semester hours of TESOL courses (including 6 hours in a language other than English) and pass the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) in TESOL.
Teacher with Existing License Pathway
Teachers seeking to add the endorsement to an existing NM teaching license of any level can either:
- Pass the CKA in TESOL; and Earn 12 semester hours of credit in TESOL (6 hours must be in a language other than English; 6 hours must be upper division courses); or
- Earn 24-36 semester hours of credit in TESOL (12 of the hours must be upper division credit if adding the endorsement to a secondary or pre k-12 specialty license. 6 hours must be in a language other than English); or
- Be certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in TESOL.
Accepted TESOL Coursework
The licensure bureau will review TESOL coursework that includes up to 6 hours of any foreign language other than English (i.e. 6 hours of Spanish, Navajo, French, German), methods for teaching English as a second language, culture (i.e. History of Southwest, Literature of the Southwest, education across cultures, cultural anthropology), English linguistics or phonetics, English grammar, assessment and parent/community involvement. Basic English composition courses are not acceptable for the grammar competency.
Approved TESOL Programs
- Central New Mexico Community College
- Eastern New Mexico University
- Fort Lewis College
- New Mexico Highlands University
- New Mexico State University
- Northern New Mexico College
- Santa Fe Community College
- San Juan College
- University of New Mexico
- Western New Mexico University