Skip to Content

Elementary License (K-8)

Elementary License (K-8) 2020-02-18T17:36:37-07:00

An elementary teaching license authorizes an individual to teach in a self-contained classroom and may teach the core area of language arts, social studies, mathematics, and science up to grade 8 in a departmentalized setting. If teaching in a departmentalized setting, the individual must be considered Fully State Certified (formally known as HQT”), this means they must have a minimum of 24 semester hours in the core area or pass the midlevel content knowledge assessment (CKA) in the core area.

Initial License

or beginning January 1, 2020

Printer Friendly Checklist

Initial Application

Elementary NMAC

Renewal License

Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.

$120 fee, cashier’s check or money order will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $150.00 would apply;(non-refundable fee); and

  • Renewal Application for Teacher Licensure; and
  • Superintendent’s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead); or
  • A notarized letter can be submitted if you did not teach on your New Mexico license(s) during the life of the license(s).
  • Note: If you are renewing a level 2 or 3 expired license (expired for more than a year), you will be required to complete the following:
    • $150 fee, cashier’s check or money order (non-refundable fee); and
    • Renewal Application; and
    • Superintendent’s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead) from last employing school district (You are encouraged to communicate with the district Human Resource Department) ; and 
    • Verification of 5 years teaching experience in New Mexico (must be on school district letterhead); and
    • Essential Components of Elementary Reading Instruction (NMTA) or beginning January 1, 2020
    • Teaching Reading: Elementary (PRAXIS)

Renewal Application

Superintendent Recommendation Form

Elementary NMAC

Reciprocating a License

  • $150.00 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
  • Initial Application; and
  • Provide official sealed transcripts reflecting a bachelor’s or master’s degree in an elementary program earned from a regionally accredited college/university; and 
  • Copy of current valid teaching License from out-of-state state education agency, Department of Defense School, or foreign country; and 
  • Verification of experience (Must be on Out-of-State School District Letterhead). Please break down experience by M/D/Y and please indicate the number of days taught for each year. 160 days commonly equals 1 full school year. Please use form below; ; and 
  • Copy of Passage of Teacher Exams or a Notarized statement stating exams were not required; and
  • Passing score for the following NMTA assessment: Essential Components of Elementary Reading Instruction (NMTA) or beginning January 1, 2020
  • Teaching Reading: Elementary (PRAXIS)

**Out of State Licensure ICS– A one year certificate (1CS) is a provisional License. “Out-of-state 1CS” means a license issued to an individual who holds a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree who has completed a standard or alternative teacher preparation program, completed out-of-state teacher exams and has a valid out-of-state teacher license, but has no teaching experience.

Initial Application

Out-of-State Verification Form

Reciprocity NMAC

Your application will be returned if:

  • The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date; or
  • The money order is not completely filled out or signed. The Professional Licensure Bureau does not accept other forms of payment.

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.

NM PED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

New Mexico Three Tier Licensure System

Level 1 → Exam or fewer than 3 full school years experience → $36,000

All first year educators will be issued a Level I Provisional Teacher License, a 5-year non-renewable license. A Level I teacher must advance to Level II by completing a dossier or advancing via summative evaluation application (please speak to your school district about advancing). The Level I teacher may advance to Level II after the third year of experience, but must advance to Level II by the end of the fifth year of experience at Level I. If the educator did not teach during a portion of the 5 years, they may submit a request to extend their Level I license for the unused time. A maximum of 3 extensions may be requested. Their extended licenses will then be issued as a 1D “limited” license. This is simply an indicator to the licensure bureau the educator received an extension to ensure that the 3 extension limit has not been exceeded.

Level 2 → 3 5 years experience → $44,000

Level 3 → 6 or more years experience → Masters Degree/National Board Certificate → $54,000

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable





Page last updated February 18, 2020