A Native American Language and Culture certificate authorizes individuals to teach the native language and cultures of specific tribes and pueblos in any grade K through 12.
- $50 fee; and
- Initial Application; and
- Verification from the tribe or pueblo authority that candidate meets the standards and criteria for competence and language proficiency in order to teach the language and culture of the particular tribe or pueblo (Must be on tribal letterhead).
- $50 application fee; and
- Renewal Application; and
- Superintendent‘s Recommendation Form (must be on School District Letterhead); and
- Verification from the tribe or pueblo authority that candidate meets the standards and criteria for competence and language proficiency in order to continue to teach the language and culture of the particular tribe or pueblo (Must be on tribal letterhead).
Your application will be returned if:
- The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date
Delay of application:
- Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
- If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.
NM PED Correspondence with Educators:
- Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.
NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information
- Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
- All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.
All fees submitted are non-refundable