Skip to Content

Secondary Vocational-Technical (7-12)

Secondary Vocational-Technical (7-12) 2021-01-20T13:45:46-07:00

A Secondary Vocational Technical teaching license authorizes an individual to help prepare students for a wide variety of careers, technical skills and or trade. Courses of instruction may include health, auto repair, welding, technology, agricultural education, cosmetology, business education, computer technology, and many others. Please see the Link: New Mexico Career Clusters Guide Book

Initial License

  • $150 fee; and
  • Initial Application; and
    • Official sealed transcripts of a Bachelor’s Degree including 32 credit hours of vocational-technical training related to the occupational area; or
    • Official sealed transcripts of a Associates degree plus two (2) years verified work experience related to the occupational area; or
    • Certificate plus three (3) years verified work experience related to the occupational area; or
    • High school diploma/GED plus five (5) years verified work experience related to the occupational area.

Note: Applicants meeting one of the above criteria will be issued a secondary vocational technical license at a Level 1P for 3 years and within those years will need to meet the following:

  • Minimum of 15 semester hours in Secondary Vocational-Technical Education Program including a supervised classroom internship/student teaching experience; or
  • Professional Development Plan (PDP) developed by the employing authority and approved by the PED, in lieu of completion of the 15 semester hours in Secondary Vocational-Technical Education Program including a supervised classroom internship/student teaching experience; and
  • Demonstrate competencies for vocational technical teachers within 3 years of the date of employment.

Upon completion, the educator can submit either a sealed transcript or PDP from the superintendent that the candidate has met all components above. The candidate will advance through completion of the Professional Development Plan (PDP)/hours and internship and the three-tiered system. The educator will be issued the remaining 2 years of the level 1 license in order to advance through the level 1 license process.

Printer Friendly Checklist

Renewal License

  • $120 fee will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $150.00 would apply; and
  • Application for NM Continuing Licensure; and
  • Superintendent ‘s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead); and
  • The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.

Reciprocating a License

  • $150.00 fee; and
  • Initial Application; and
  • Provide Official transcripts reflecting a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree earned from a regionally accredited college/university; and
  • Copy of current valid teaching License from out-of-state state education agency, Department of Defense School, or foreign country; and
  • Verification of experience (Must be on Out-of-State School District Letterhead). Please break down experience by M/D/Y and please indicate the number of days taught for each year. 160 days commonly equals 1 full school year. Please use form below; and
  • Copy of Passage of Teacher Exams or a Notarized statement stating exams were not required.

**Out of State Licensure ICS– A one year certificate (1CS) is a provisional License. “Out-of-state 1CS” means a license issued to an individual who holds a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree who has completed a standard or alternative teacher preparation program, completed out-of-state teacher exams and has a valid out-of-state teacher license, but has no teaching experience.

Note: Your application will be returned if:

  • The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date.

Note: Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.

Note: NMPED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

New Mexico Three Tier Licensure System

Level 1 → Exam or fewer than 3 full school years experience → $36,000

All first year educators will be issued a Level I Provisional Teacher License, a 5-year non-renewable license. A Level I teacher must advance to Level II by completing a dossier or advancing via summative evaluation application (please speak to your school district about advancing). The Level I teacher may advance to Level II after the third year of experience, but must advance to Level II by the end of the fifth year of experience at Level I. If the educator did not teach during a portion of the 5 years, they may submit a request to extend their Level I license for the unused time. A maximum of 3 extensions may be requested. Their extended licenses will then be issued as a 1D “limited” license. This is simply an indicator to the licensure bureau the educator received an extension to ensure that the 3 extension limit has not been exceeded.

Level 2 → 3 5 years experience → $44,000

Level 3 → 6 or more years experience → Masters Degree → $54,000

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  • Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable


Page last updated January 20, 2021