Under the leadership of Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, the state has decided the best path forward for our students is to accept the Court’s ruling, rather than appeal, and work to address the Court’s concerns. Remedying the identified deficiencies, adhering to the requirements applicable legal directives, and creating positive educational experiences and improved outcomes for all of our students will require effort and cooperation from all parties, including the NMPED, districts, charter schools, higher education institutions, Tribes, families, and other education stakeholders.
The NMPED will be pursuing a four-part strategy that will create an effective and equitable system of supports for all students focused on root-cause analysis, equity-focused leadership and continuous improvement, and culturally and linguistically responsive curriculum and pedagogy. To help achieve the goals listed above, districts and charter schools must initially concentrate on the development of the following:
The New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) acknowledges the Court’s ruling that “no education system can be sufficient for the education of all children unless it is founded on the sound principle that every child can learn and succeed[.]” Similarly, the New Mexico Legislature found that the key to success is having a multicultural education system that:
- attracts and retains quality and diverse teachers to teach New Mexico’s multicultural student population;
- holds teachers, students, schools, districts, and the state accountable;
- integrates the cultural strengths of its diverse student population into the curriculum with high expectations for all students;
- recognizes that cultural diversity in the state presents special challenges for policymakers, administrators, teachers, and students;
- provides students with a rigorous and relevant high school curriculum that prepares them to succeed in college and the workplace; and
- elevates the importance of public education in the state by clarifying the governance structure at different levels.
October 22, 2019 Letter from Deputy Secretary Kara Bobroff Regarding Martinez and Yazzie Lawsuit (PDF)