Training Sessions Available
Due to the community spread potential of COVID-19 and in light of the recent orders by the Governor, including school closure, NMPED and partners are exercising precautions by working remotely and cancelling or postponing all in-person events. There have been several online virtual trainings added see Governing Board Training Sessions PDF below.
The Charter Schools Division (formally titled Options for Parents and Families Division) hosts four (4) types of training: Governing Board Training, New Application Training, Renewal Application Training, and Implementation Year Training. All are open to the public and anyone can attend. The classes are offered free of charge.
1. Governing Board Training Sessions (PDF)
- The Introductory training is required of all new governing board members during the fiscal year in which they are designated, for a total of 10 hours, as outlined in NMAC 6.80.5. It includes two hours of Ethics and Responsibilities, two hours of Fiscal Requirements, one hour of Understanding Academic Data, one hour of Open Government, and one hour of Legal and Organizational Framework training, plus three elective hours in any area. Administrators and other charter school leaders are also welcome. To inquire about the Seven (7) Hour Introductory On Demand Training for New Governing Board Members, please email: Charter.Schools@state.nm.us Please be sure to include the name of the school board that you are affiliated with.
- Continuing board members must complete 8 hours of training each fiscal year as outlined in NMAC 6.80.5. Training is offered two ways (in-person or virtual) by both the Charter Schools Division and other approved vendors*. Topics covered include Governing Body Ethics and Responsibilities, Open Government, Fiscal Requirements, Understanding Academic Data, and Legal and Organizational Performance.
- Lunch & Learn Training Sessions these sessions are designed to be held over the course of the lunch hour on an online platform. New series beginning in January 2020 wherein a continuing governing board member may complete their 8 required hours of training. New members may select any 3 L&L sessions to attend to complete their final 3 required hours of training. All available sessions are listed on the above “Governing Board Training Sessions” link.
- PLEASE review attached GB Training Session PDF. We have added several new “VIRTUAL” training sessions. For inquiries or to register for any of these trainings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Please note that third-party providers may charge a fee for their classes. Regarding the free offerings by CSD, please be aware that we must have at least five participants to offer each course. Notice of cancellation, if necessary, will be given 48 hours in advance of the course.
- New Application training is designed for teams that have submitted a Notice of Intent in January and intend to submit an application for a new charter school (to open in 2021-2022) by June 1st. This training will prepare candidates for the application submission process. New application trainings will be held at the Nusenda Training Center, 4100 Pan American Fwy NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87107; sessions will begin at 8:30 am. Please register for these trainings at email@example.com
- March 30, 2020 9:00 am-12:00 pm To be held via ZOOM Online Platform.
- April 27, 2020 platform to be determined.
- Renewal Application Training is intended for schools whose contracts expire at the end of the next school year (June 30, 2021). The school should begin preparing parts of the renewal packet no later than Spring of the prior school year and completed packets are due by October 1st. Please register for these trainings at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Renewal Application VIRTUAL Training Dates:
- Implementation Year training is to assist schools that are in their planning year (i.e., their application was approved but they have not yet been approved to commence operations by the PEC). The participants learn about and work on the school policies, procedures, legal requirements, etc. in order to complete all the tasks necessary to open a school. There are three submission deadline dates (November, March, and May) and a checklist of items that must be completed by those dates. There are at least 8 training sessions held at 300 Don Gaspar Avenue, Santa Fe, NM in Room G8, with each session beginning at 8:30 am. These are mandatory for all PEC-approved applicant schools.
- September 16, 2019
- October 7, 2019
- November 4, 2019
- December 2, 2010
- January 13, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- April 20, 2020
Become an approved Governing Board Training Provider
To apply to become an approved provider for a charter school governing body training, please use the application, rubric, and guidance below. Applications must be submitted by email to Charter.Schools@state.nm.us. For questions about the application or application processing please use the same email address.