**At this time, Home School is receiving a high volume of mail, calls, and emails. Please be patient with us, as we sort through our backlog and are trying to respond to requests and questions as quick as we possibly can. Please do not submit duplicate emails or voicemails.
Please do NOT send emails requesting verification or confirmation of your home school submissions. Parents/guardians may log into their Parent Portal within the NMPED Home School System and verify your own home school submissions. Please see instructions on how to View/Print Enrollment.
Home schooling is when a parent or legal guardian of a school-age person operates a home study program, including, but not limited to, reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science. Students who are home schooled are not considered public school students.
Parents/legal guardians must notify the state of the establishment of a home school within thirty (30) days of withdrawal from public/private school and re-notify the state on or before August 1st of each year thereafter. Notification must also be made when a student moves or enrolls in a public or private school. This can be done via the NMPED Home School System.
The NMPED Home School System is the online database where families can notify the NMPED of the enrollment and disenrollment of children in home schooling. Parents create an account and log in to provide annual notification to NMPED, update contact details, change geographic school district (if moved), provide enrollment/disenrollment information, and print an official verification of enrollment. This online registration replaces the Letter of Intent to the Secretary of Public Education.
In accordance with the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as amended, a student’s education records are maintained confidential to the extent permitted by law. The NMPED has not designated information within the agency as directory information as provided in 34 CFR § 99.37.
To enroll a student in home school for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Read the appropriate instructions for your circumstance:
- Returning Enrollment Instructions for students who submitted notification in School Years 2019 forward.
- New Enrollment Instructions for families new to home schooling.
- Documentation regarding system security.
- Go to the NM PED Home School System
- Log into your account and submit notification for 2021-2022
- If you are new to home schooling or did not home school in 2019-present, create an account, add your child to your account, and then ENROLL the child for the current school year. (See instructions.)
- Withdraw your child from the school/district that he/she attended previously. The school/district may ask for evidence that you registered for home school. To print an official confirmation of home school notification. Log into the Home School System and click Parent – View/Print Enrollments.
- If you enroll your child in a public or private school in the future, log into the Home School System and click Parent -> Disenroll to withdraw from home schooling.
- Families can elect to operate a home school at any time, and provide notification at that time. In subsequent years, however, state law requires that notification be provided each year by August 1st. Please maintain your login User ID and password in order to re-enroll your child in home school each school year.
Home school families who elect not to use a computer or mobile device to provide notification via the online database may print, sign, and mail in a Hard Copy to PED, ATTN: HOME SCHOOL, 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM, 87501. NMPED staff will enter the data into the database. Parents are advised to mail the form via Certified Return Receipt or other delivery verification for their records.
Contact Us if you have questions or technical difficulties.