The New Mexico Public Education Department’s Charter Schools Division is driving student success in New Mexico by supporting excellent authorizing practices and charter schools that provide innovative, quality education.
The PED has taken steps to protect the privacy of those involved in the Charter School Renewal process, when appropriate and applicable. Best efforts are made to ensure that all materials published on this site are correct. However, we do not guarantee that all the materials published will be completely free from errors and/or private information.
If you need information that is not available on the website, contact Options for Parents and Families Division at email@example.com.
Please note that all state-chartered schools in New Mexico are authorized by the Public Education Commission and serve as their own LEA.
Several public school districts also serve as charter school authorizers and those locally-chartered public schools operate under the jurisdiction of the local school district.
Charter School Lottery FAQ (Updated September 17, 2021)
Charter School Policies and Processes
- Complaints about charter schools should be submitted using the Charter School Complaint Form only after the guidance in the Charter Schools Complaint Policy has been followed.
- For information, policies and application forms for opening a new charter school, renewing an existing charter, amending a charter contract please visit the Public Education Commission’s Charter School Policies and Processes page.
- For information on statues please visit the Charter School Statutes website.
- For information on the New Mexico Administrative Code (regulations) please visit the New Mexico Commission of Public Records page.
- Please submit a Non-discretionary Waiver form notifying CSD that the school is claiming one or more waiver. No approval is needed, as these waivers are granted by statute. Once claimed, non-discretionary waivers remain in place for the remainder of the charter contract term.