The New Mexico Public Education Department’s Charter Schools Division is driving student success in New Mexico by supporting excellent authorizing practices and charter schools that provide innovative, quality education.
The PED has taken steps to protect the privacy of those involved in the Charter School Renewal process, when appropriate and applicable. Best efforts are made to ensure that all materials published on this site are correct. However, we do not guarantee that all the materials published will be completely free from errors and/or private information.
If you need information that is not available on the website, contact Options for Parents and Families Division at email@example.com.
Please note that all state-chartered schools in New Mexico are authorized by the Public Education Commission and serve as their own LEA.
Several public school districts also serve as charter school authorizers and those locally-chartered public schools operate under the jurisdiction of the local school district.
- DOH 8/19/2021 WEBINAR
- 8/19/2021 Webinar DOH Updates, Toolkit, Q&A for Charter Governing Councils ⇐Link for Recorded Webinar
- 8/19/2021 Webinar Slideshow PDF
- 8/19/2021 Webinar Q&A
- FAQ – Lottery (updated 9-17-21)
RESOURCES for Charter Schools (coming soon)
- Starting a Charter School (Public Education Commission)
- Implementation Year Process and Forms (Public Education Commission)
- Charter School Contracts and Performance Framework (Public Education Commission)
- Renewing a Charter (Public Education Commission)
- Amendment Requests, Process and Forms, including changes to Governing Board membership (Public Education Commission)
- Applications Submitted to the Public Education Commission (PEC) in prior years
CHARTER SCHOOL STATUTES AND REGULATIONS