Renewing charter schools have the option to seek renewal from either their local chartering authority (district) or the Public Education Commission (PEC) as the state chartering authority. All renewal applications must be submitted by October 1, 2021, to the charter school’s selected chartering authority. In accordance with Subsection A of 188.8.131.52 NMAC, the chartering authority must then rule in a public meeting on the renewal of the application no later than January 1, 2022.
The PEC developed its state charter renewal application kit to assist charter schools in the development of their renewal applications to the PEC.
If you are intending to renew with a district authorizer, you should check with the district on the forms and process that they require.
The PEC’s Charter Renewal Application Kit is divided into six parts: Part A: Your School’s Summary Data Report and Current Charter Contract (provided by CSD for state charters); Part B: Progress Report (provided by the school), Part C: Financial Statement; Part D: Petitions of Support; and Part E: Description of the Charter School Facilities. These sections address the requirements of NMSA 1978 § 22-8B-12(J) and are intended to provide the PEC the information necessary to determine if the school’s past performance supports renewal of the charter.
Section 22-8B-12(K) NMSA 1978 provides that a charter may be not renewed if the chartering authority determined the school
(1) committed a material violation of any of the conditions, standards or procedures set forth in the charter contract;
(2) failed to meet or make substantial progress toward achievement of the department’s standards of excellence or student performance standards identified in the charter contract;
(3) failed to meet generally accepted standards of fiscal management; or
(4) violated any provision of law from which the charter school was not specifically exempted.
Renewal Application Training
Training sessions are offered to help applicant teams as they prepare to submit an application to renew as a charter school. Please see the for dates.
- Schools eligible for Expedited Renewals (per the PEC Performance Review and Accountability System) can request the Expedited Renewal Application from firstname.lastname@example.org. If the school’s application is submitted on or before September 1st, the PEC will vote on the renewal in October. If submitted by October 1st, the PEC will vote on the renewal in December.
- Renewals for all other schools must submit the Renewal Application on or before October 1st and the PEC renewal hearings will be held in December. Please note that school performance during the current contract term determines the recommendation from PED/CSD, however, the PEC makes the decision. The recommendation categories are defined in the PEC Performance Review and Accountability System.
- If approved, the school must develop mission goals and prepare documents for the Charter Contract Negotiation Sessions that will take place between the school and the PEC in the Spring. The CSD Staff will provide more details and a brief training/overview on the Charter Contract process in January. Contracts (including the mission goals) must be approved by the Governing Board and are presented to the PEC for final approval in May or June.