The duties of the Hispanic Education Liaison of the New Mexico Public Education Department are:
(1) focus on issues related to Hispanic education and advise the secretary on the development and implementation of policy regarding the education of Hispanic students;
(2) advise the department and the commission on the development and implementation of the five-year strategic plan for public elementary and secondary education in the state as the plan relates to Hispanic student education;
(3) assist and be assisted by other staff in the department to improve elementary, secondary and post-secondary educational outcomes for Hispanic students;
(4) serve as a resource to enable school districts and charter schools to provide equitable and culturally relevant learning environments, educational opportunities and culturally relevant instructional materials for Hispanic students enrolled in public schools;
(6) support school districts and charter schools to recruit parents on site-based and school district committees that represent the ethnic diversity of the community.
2017-2018 NMPED Hispanic Education Liaison
|Mayra A. Valtierrez||Director, Language and Culture Bureau||505-827-6667||Mayra.Valtierrez@state.nm.us|