Goal for the Work
To collaboratively redevelop the NMPED Social Studies Standards using current evidence-based practices, research and data to create a culturally responsive set of Social Studies Standards that focus on the knowledge, skills and dispositions critical to ensure ALL students in New Mexico are college, career, and civic ready.
The current social studies standards in New Mexico were last revised in 2009 (Primary and Secondary Education Standards for Excellence in Social Studies, 2009). While the current standards have numerous strengths and cover a wide range of topics, they do not address the increasingly diverse perspectives and histories of the peoples of New Mexico.
The proposed standards posted here have not gone through the NMAC rule development process which will occur throughout the Fall semester of the 21-22 school year. For more information on that process please see the section below titled “ Standards Review and Revision Process.”
The proposed standards, when finalized, will be implemented starting with the first semester of the 2022/23 school year, allowing time for professional development prior to implementation.
Key Tenets for the Work
NMPED conducted an open and transparent standards development process by engaging educators, business leaders, representation from higher education and parents in standards development committees.
Standards Review Timeline
Standards Review and Revision Process
The standards review and revision process includes ten steps outlined below.
- Change into federal law, state statue (NMSA), or policy priority as determined by the Secretary
- PED identifies an opportunity to add clarity around implementation or accountability or accountability to rule (NMAC)
- PED Chooses to: (1) adopt a new rule (2) amend an existing rule (3) repeal a rule or (4) repeal and replace a rule
- PED holds stakeholder engagement and develops proposed draft
- Public notice and draft are released
- Minimum 30 day comment period held on rule
- Public hearing is held a minimum of 31 days from the notice
- PED considers public comment
- PED adopts rule
- PED files rule
Fall 2021: Statewide call for educators to apply to work on the New Mexico Instructional Scope (NMIS) for Social Studies
(For more information on the NMIS, please see the following link: https://webnew.ped.state.nm.us/bureaus/curriculum-instruction/)
January 2022: Approved standards will be posted on the NMPED website.
Early Spring 2022: Committee of NM educators convenes to develop the NMIS for Social Studies.
Spring of 2022: Professional Development supports will be released to aid in preparing teachers to implement the new standards in the Fall of 2022.
Fall 2022: Full implementation of new standards.
If you have additional comments, please email PED.email@example.com