October 2021 Facilitation Academy
The Math and Science Bureau is excited to build from the momentum started in the summer as you engaged in professional learning to support implementing the OpenSciEd middle school curriculum. New Mexico aims to build a professional learning system that equips OpenSciEd Facilitators with the training and materials they need to effectively support science teachers utilizing the OpenSciEd curriculum, specifically the next unit in the implementation schedule. This initiative will ensure that New Mexico facilitators/educators receive deep, ongoing, job-embedded professional learning connected to high-quality instructional materials, part of the commitment in providing technical assistance to schools rolling out the OpenSciEd middle school curriculum.
The Math and Science Bureau has partnered with The Dana Center at The University of Texas to develop the Unit 2 Facilitation Academy virtually on Canvas October 25–26, 2021. This two, full-day training will provide unit-specific training for the second unit. Facilitators must attend so they can support your teachers in implementing the next unit. Below is the professional learning schedule:
|Schedule||Units Being Trained On|
|Monday, October 25, 2021, 9 am – 12 pm, 1–4 pm MT|
Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 9 am – 12 pm, 1–4 pm MT
|Grade 6 – Unit 6.3|
Grade 7 – Unit 7.3
Grade 8 – Unit 8.3
This facilitation academy aims to equip OpenSciEd facilitators and educators to implement OpenSciEd curricular units and support delivering high-quality lessons successfully. More specifically, this training will achieve the following objectives:
- Deepen science content and pedagogical knowledge, particularly around the disciplinary core ideas, science and engineering practices, and crosscutting concepts that comprise the three dimensions of research-informed science teaching and learning.
- Familiarize facilitators with the OpenSciEd instructional models and the conceptual shifts inherent to phenomenon-based learning.
- Prepare educators for the practical aspects of planning and enacting OpenSciEd units.
- Build capacity to support teachers in enacting and modifying the OpenSciEd curriculum to support diverse learners using Universal Design for Learning principles and culturally linguistically responsive instruction strategies.
- Apply best practices of adult learning to lead effective professional learning that fosters a collaborative culture among educators.
Participants will be mailed the hands-on materials from the Dana Center in mid-October and should arrive by FedEx. The Math and Science Bureau will provide participants a stipend for full engagement during the facilitation academy occurring off-contract time or substitute reimbursement for on-contract time. Those teachers and facilitators will receive an email from High Plains Regional Education Cooperative to fill out a W-9 and stipend form to receive the stipend or to submit a substitute reimbursement invoice.
This is part of the three-year commitment to facilitate OpenSciEd curriculum convenings at your school site and engage in ongoing professional learning.
- Please register for the October Facilitation Academy and include your mailing address for the hands-on materials. Registration Link: https://cvent.me/M80ROQ
- You will receive a link to the Canvas course in early October. If you do not have a Canvas account, you will be asked to create an account at that time. All Zoom links and course materials are embedded within Canvas.
- The platform to access each session, Zoom, rolled out several updates.
If you have any further questions, please reach out to Shafiq Chaudhary, Math and Science Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (505) 231–7368.
Monthly PLC Series
We will have our first meeting for this year on September 28, 2021, from 4:00–5:00pm. Each monthly PLC is scheduled from 4:00–5:00pm. Sessions will focus on deepening learning on OpenSciEd curricular features and fostering a community of adult learners in school site PLC, based on the needs from the survey.
Our first session will focus on supporting shifts to foster collaborative classroom culture. Bring strategies to share!
This is our schedule for the school year:
- Tuesday, September 28, 2021
- Tuesday, October 19, 2021
- Tuesday, November 30, 2021
- Tuesday, January 25, 2022
- Tuesday, February 22, 2022
- Tuesday, March 22, 2022
- Tuesday, April 19, 2022
- Tuesday, May 17, 2022
The PED will provide participants a stipend, up to $400 for engagement during off-contract time. Participation is part of the three-year commitment to facilitate OpenSciEd curriculum convenings at your school site/state and engage in ongoing professional learning.
OpenSciEd Unit Implementation Schedule:
|TENTATIVE IMPLEMENTATION SCHEDULE|
|Grade Level||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 1||Semester 2|