MSB Office Hours
Join MSB staff and STEM teachers around the state for monthly meetings to get information on upcoming events or ask those burning questions.
In February, learn about our newest Canvas course: The 5 Classroom Routines- OpenSciEd Approach to Coherent Science Instruction. Get an overview of the course and instructional routines that provide equitable student engagement opportunities to meet all of your student’s needs.
In March, hear from the Bureau on a hot trending topic: Data Science. Data is everywhere, and as citizens of a technological future, New Mexico students need the ability to understand, work with and use data. Join us for an overview of Data Science and how to incorporate data-related ideas into your instruction, and share your experiences supporting students in working with data.
Elementary (K–6) Virtual Meetings
- Scheduled on Wednesday afternoons, 3:00pm–3:30pm
- Next meeting – March 3
- Register here
Secondary (6–12) Virtual Meetings
- Scheduled on Wednesday afternoons, 4:00pm–4:30pm
- Next meeting – February 24
- Register here
- Math Distance Learning Sample Lesson
- Math Lesson Planning Guide
- Science Distance Learning Sample Lesson
- Science Lesson Planning Guide
- August 13, 2020 – NMPED: Mathematics Acceleration Guidance
- September 16, 2020 – MSB: Science Reentry
- September 25, 2020 – MSB: Low-Tech to No-Tech Supports for Science
- September 30, 2020 – MSB: Low-Tech to No-Tech Supports for Mathematics
- September 30, 2020 – MSB: Key Shifts in Mathematics_In-Person to Distance Learning
- September 30, 2020 – MSB: Key Shifts in Science_In-Person to Distance Learning
- October 5, 2020 – NMPED: Science Lab and Materials Guidance
- October 5, 2020 – NMPED: Classroom Math Materials Safety Guidance
- October 6, 2020 – MSB: Exploring Changing Environment Through Local Phenomena [Science]
The 5 Classroom Routines – OpenSciEd Approach to Coherent Science Instruction
The Math and Science Bureau is excited to launch a professional learning opportunity to continue supporting NM STEM Ready! Science Standards implementation. This Canvas course engages educators in utilizing the OpenSciEd classroom routines to enhance coherent science instruction.
Participants will experience the Anchoring Phenomena, Investigative, Navigation, Putting the Pieces Together and Problematizing Routines as a student and analyze, as an educator, how these routines support equitable classroom culture and the role of formative assessment. The course models the routines through OpenSciEd’s Weather, Climate & Water Cycling Unit.
This course will be offered through the PED’s Canvas Instance. Participants will meet Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a 90 minute synchronous session from 4:00–5:30 pm and Tuesday and Thursday reserved for no more than an hour of asynchronous work; the full course runs for three and and half weeks.
The course is limited to 30 K–12 science educators with a stipend of $250 for full engagement in completing the course. The course is full at this time and registration will re-open in Fall 2021.
Science Reentry Support Series
To continue providing high quality professional learning during the health emergency, the MSB creating self-paced professional learning modules on Canvas. Our first new course, part of our Science Reentry Support Series, Elementary Bundling of NM STEM Ready! Science Standards is a way for you or your PLC to engage in bundling your grade-level NM STEM Ready! Science Standards. The course can support you in addressing the science standards with coherence for the purpose of acceleration.
Introduction to Bundling Science Standards Webinar (Part 1)
Elementary Bundling of the NM STEM Ready! Science Standards (Part 2)