Skip to Content

Alternative Post-Secondary Experience (Pre K-12)

////Alternative Post-Secondary Experience (Pre K-12)
Alternative Post-Secondary Experience (Pre K-12) 2021-06-04T10:46:59-06:00

A nonrenewable, 1-year license granted that allows a person to teach as a teacher of record under an internship license. The Post-Secondary Experience is a program that is set up for individuals who obtained a bachelor’s and master’s degree in a non-traditional education program and have taught at a Post-Secondary level (for a minimum of 5 or 6 years)  and are interested in teaching in a K-12 school setting.

Please Note:  Once the teacher has completed an internship of 1 full school year (160 days as a teacher of record) while holding the internship license, proof of completion of the required Teaching of Reading/Reading Methods coursework and satisfactorily demonstrate teaching competencies at respective level of licensure, they will be granted a level 2 or level 3 teaching license. The alternative post-secondary candidate does not need to complete teacher exams.

Initial License

  • $150 (non-refundable) fee, and
  • Alternative Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Official sealed transcripts Master’s Degree , or Doctoral Degree in teaching field; and
  • A verification of experience from a university or college HR department verifying a minimum of 5 or more full school years of teaching experience at the post-secondary level. Please indicate that at least 160 days was completed for each year taught (form must be on a university/college letterhead); and
  • Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

Reading Methods Course Requirement:

Early Childhood, Elementary and Special Education licensure requires 6 semester credit hours

Middle Level, Secondary and PreK-12 Specialty Area licensure requires 3 semester credit hours

Post-Secondary Verification of Experience

Post Secondary Experience NMAC

Renewal License

  • If your level 1 alternative license has expired, and you did not work as a classroom teacher on your alternative license, you can submit for a one time renewal. We will renew your license for the year(s) you did not work your license. Submit the following:
  • $150 (non-refundable) fee, and
  • Alternative Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  •  Notarized form for extension.
    • If educator does not have additional valid licenses on file, then must register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

Notarized Extension Request Form

Alternative License NMAC

Upon completion of the program, the candidate must submit the following documents to obtain full licensure:

  • Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of teaching of reading course.
  • Superintendent Recommendation Form for Post-Secondary Experience verifying that the candidate meets competencies as delineated for the type and level of licensure sought (Five years of experience qualifies for a level 2 teaching license OR  Six or more years of experience qualifies for a level 3A teaching license).

*Your license will then be issued level 2 or level 3A based on the competencies demonstrated at the grade level and in the subject area teaching.

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.

NM PED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR eScrips can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable


Page last updated June 4, 2021