The Online Portfolio for Alternative Licensure (OPAL) Pathway Program allows an educator to teach at a school district for 2 years (nonrenewable, 2-year) while being mentored and evaluated at a New Mexico Public School District, as well as, simultaneously complete the required teaching of reading course(s) and required licensure exams.
The OPAL Pathway Program is a program that is set up for individuals who obtained a bachelor’s degree in a non-traditional education program and is interested in teaching. **Under this pathway, educator can only hold one (1) licensure**
- $150 (non-refundable) fee, and
- Alternative Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- Official sealed transcripts Bachelor’s Degree including 30 semester hours, Master’s Degree including 12 graduate hours, or Doctoral Degree in a teaching field; and
- A signed letter of interest to undergo the OPAL Pathway; and
- A signed plan/letter from district supporting request for educator to undergo the OPAL Pathway (Must be on a school district letterhead); and
- Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
Reading Methods Course Requirement:
Early Childhood, Elementary and Special Education licensure requires 6 semester credit hours
Middle Level, Secondary and PreK-12 Specialty Area licensure requires 3 semester credit hours
Extension of Alternative License
- A one-time extension may be granted if educator has not completed their alternative licensure program and/or lack exams during the tenure (2 years) of their license.
- Please have your LEA (District/Charter) contact the Bureau Manager, Jessica Green at email@example.com
Upon completion of the program, the candidate must submit the following documents to obtain full level 1 licensure:
- Submission of Online Portfolio (Passing Score of Portfolio); and
- Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of required teaching of reading coursework; and
- Copy of passing teacher exams; and
- Successful completion of mentorship program (District/Charter must provide evidence of this)
Note: You will be granted the remaining number of years to your license. Your license will still remain an alternative license; however, the number of years will reflect the level 1 teaching license. The word alternative and the five years on your license indicates that you successfully completed an alternative program.
Delay of application:
- Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list; or
- If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.
NMPED Correspondence with Educators:
- Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.
NMPED Licensure Transcripts Information
All fees submitted are non-refundable