A school business official is someone working in the capacity of a supervisor or director or manager of accounting or bookkeeping. A business manager of a school district with a membership in excess of three thousand students must hold or be eligible to hold a level 2 school business official license.
- $150 (non-refundable) fee; and
- Initial Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- Documentation on one of the following areas:
- Provide a copy of current certified public accountant certificate; OR
- Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of an Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in accounting, business, or a related field with at least 24 semester hours in accounting or business coursework from a regionally accredited or department approved program; OR
- Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of a Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in accounting or a related field from a regionally accredited or department approved college or university including at least 24 semester hours in accounting or business courses AND at least 3 years of verifiable employment experience as a school business official; OR
- A high school diploma or high school equivalency credential and at least five years of verifiable employment experience working under the supervision of a licensed school business official and 40 hours of NMASBO training for school business official license continuing education;
- New Mexico Association of School Business Officials (NMASBO) winter/fall or boot camp conferences/workshop certificates.
- Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
Note: A one-year conditional license is lacking the New Mexico Association of School Business Officials (NMASBO) winter/fall or boot camp conferences/workshop. Once the certificate of completion is submitted, the license will be issued for the full level 1 license.
Boot camp offers 32 hours of Professional Development/Continuing Education. The hours awarded to the attendee is dependent upon the time they actually attended the sessions. These hours awarded may be applied to the fulfill of the statutorily required hours. NMAC 184.108.40.206.4 specifically states that if an individual who’s highest education level is a high school diploma and meets the 5 years working under a licensed business officer, must complete 40 hours of professional development to obtain a provisional license. To fulfil all 40 hours, an individual must attend boot camp and the winter conference (about 14 hours) to fulfill the 40 hours of training.
Contact info for NMASBO: Phone: 505-923-3283.
- $120 fee will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $150.00 would apply; and
- Renewal Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- Superintendent ‘s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead); and
- The holder of a level 1 or level 2 school business official license must complete sixteen (16) contact hours per year of training or coursework in any combination.
- Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.
- If educator does not have additional valid licenses on file, then must register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
Delay of application:
- Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
- If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.
NMPED Correspondence with Educators:
- Consultants correspond by email. Please check your spam/junk folder.
Renewal of Licensure Level
- To receive a level 2, nine year license an applicant must have three full school years of experience at standard Level 1 license and a superintendent’s verification of demonstrating competencies.
- Employers are responsible for ensuring that level 1 and level 2 licensed school business officials complete 16 contact hours/per year of training or coursework in any combination of subjects listed in the school business officials competencies (220.127.116.11).
All fees submitted are non-refundable