Beginning Teacher Pathway
Beginning teachers adding the endorsement to an initial license must satisfy the requirements for the license which include:
24-36 semester hours in bilingual education and pass Prueba
Teacher with Existing License Pathway
Teachers seeking to add the endorsement to an existing NM license at any level must:
- Complete 12 semester hours in the teaching of bilingual education and pass Prueba
Note: Persons who hold a licensure endorsement in teaching English as a second language (TESOL) on an existing New Mexico teaching license may add an endorsement in bilingual education by passing Prueba and completing at least 6 semester hours in the teaching of bilingual education.
BMEP Endorsement Waiver
If you don’t have the eligible coursework or exam, your LEA (District/Charter) may submit BMEP Endorsement Waiver on your behalf. Please contact the Language & Culture Division if you have additional questions.
Accepted Bilingual Coursework
- Culture (history of the Southwest, literature of the Southwest, education across cultures, etc.)
- Instructional methodology of bilingual education
- Instructional methodology of English language development (ELD)
- Language other than English
- Parent/community involvement
New Mexico Administrative Code