A nonrenewable, 2-year license granted to allow a person to simultaneously teach and complete face-to- face courses or online courses at an approved university or community college. The Alternative Educator Prep Program is a focused state-accredited (approved) post-baccalaureate program for obtaining your New Mexico Level 1 teaching license.
The Alternative Educator Prep Program is available for individuals who obtained a bachelor’s degree in a non-traditional education program and are interested in teaching.
Note: Although the Professional Licensure Bureau does not require proof of passing Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics through Praxis (developed by ETS), universities/colleges may require you to do so at their discretion.
- $150 (non-refundable) fee, and
- Alternative Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- Official sealed transcripts Bachelor’s Degree including 30 semester hours, or Master’s Degree including 12 graduate hours, or Doctoral Degree in a teaching field; and
- A letter of Acceptance into an Approved Alternative Teacher Education Program; and
- Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
Extension of Alternative License
- A one-time extension may be granted if educator has not completed their alternative licensure program and/or lack exams during the tenure (2 years) of their license.
- Please have your LEA (District/Charter) and/or University contact the Bureau Manager, Jessica Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon completion of the program, the candidate must submit the following documents to obtain full level 1 licensure:
- Official sealed transcripts conferring education certificate; and
- Letter of Completion of the Alternative Educator Prep Program; and
- Copy of passing teacher exams from Praxis
Note: You will be granted the remaining number of years to your license. Your license will still remain an alternative license; however, the number of years will reflect the level 1 teaching license. The word alternative and the five years on your license indicates that you successfully completed an alternative program.
Delay of application:
- Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list; or
- If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.
NMPED Correspondence with Educators:
- Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.
NMPED Licensure Transcripts Information
All fees submitted are non-refundable