A nonrenewable, 2-year license is granted to allow a person to simultaneously teach and complete face-to-face courses or online courses at an approved university or community college. The Alternative Educator Prep Program is a focused state-accredited (approved) post-baccalaureate program for obtaining your New Mexico Level 1 teaching license.
The Alternative Educator Prep Program is available for individuals who obtained a bachelor’s degree in a non-traditional education program and are interested in teaching.
Note: Although the Professional Licensure Bureau does not require proof of passing Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics through Praxis (developed by ETS), universities/colleges may require you to do so to be accepted into their alternative licensure program.
- $150 (non-refundable) fee, and
- Alternative Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- Official sealed transcripts Bachelor’s Degree including 30 semester hours, or Master’s Degree including 12 graduate hours, or Doctoral Degree in a teaching field; and
- A letter of Acceptance into an Approved Alternative Teacher Education Program; and
- Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
Extension of Alternative License
- A one-time extension may be granted if an educator has not completed their alternative licensure program and/or lack exams during the tenure (2 years) of their license.
- Please follow the instructions in the Alternative Licensure Extensions in order to apply for an extension request
Upon completion of the program, the candidate must submit the following documents to obtain full level 1 licensure:
- Official sealed transcripts conferring education certificate; and
- Letter of Completion of the Alternative Educator Prep Program; and
- Copy of passing teacher exams from Praxis
Note: You will be granted the remaining number of years to your license. Your license will still remain an alternative license; however, the number of years will reflect the level 1 teaching license. The word alternative and the five years on your license indicates that you successfully completed an alternative program.
Delay of application:
- Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list; or
- If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.
NMPED Correspondence with Educators:
- Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.
All fees submitted are non-refundable