Beginning Teacher Pathway
Beginning teachers adding the endorsement to an initial license must satisfy the requirements for the license which include:
- 24-36 semester hours in a single modern, classical & native language and pass the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) in the target language (Spanish, German, French). Please see the assessment listing below.
Teacher with Existing License Pathway
Teachers seeking to add the endorsement to an existing New Mexico teaching license of any level can either:
- Pass the CKA in a single Modern, Classical, and Native language from Praxis, or
- Earn 24-36 semester hours of credit in a single modern, classical & native language (12 of the hours must be upper-division credit if adding the endorsement to a Secondary or Pre K-12 specialty license); or
- Be certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in modern, classical & native languages.
- Spanish – Passage of the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) from PRAXIS Spanish World Language
- French – Passage of the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) from PRAXIS French World Language
- German – Passage of the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) from PRAXIS German World Language
BMEP Endorsement Waiver
If you don’t have the eligible coursework or exam, your LEA (District/Charter) may submit BMEP Endorsement Waiver on your behalf. Please contact the Language & Culture Division if you have additional questions.
Instructions for Submitting the Renewal BMEP Endorsement Waiver
Renewal BMEP Endorsement Waiver Teacher Consent Form
Renewal BMEP Endorsement Waiver