Skip to Content

Alternative-Student Success Advisor (7-12)

Alternative-Student Success Advisor (7-12) 2021-01-21T01:25:36-07:00

The nonrenewable, 5-year alternative license is granted to allow time for completion of a School Counseling graduate program while assisting a school district as a Student Success Advisor (SSA).

A Student Success Advisor (SSA) license authorizes an individual to provide school-to-career guidance, interpreting standardized test scores, developing master class scheduling, monitoring GPA and course mapping, and providing student success resources. This license is not a guidance counseling certification and does not allow a Student Success Advisor to provide mental health counseling.

Initial License

  • $150 (non-refundable) fee,  and
  • Alternative Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; and
  • Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

Alternative Application

Common questions:

  1. If someone receives an SSA license but is unable to find a job, does the license still expire in 5 years? This license is non-renewable. The ideal candidate will have to be employed with a school district. Anyone applying for a SSA will need to sign a Memorandum of Understanding and Confidentiality Agreement with the school district.
  2. Is a school required to identify a school counselor as a mentor for the SSA licensee? Yes, the school should determine a mentor for the SSA licensee.

Upon completion of 5 year program:

  • $150 (non-refundable) fee,  and
  • Initial Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Submit official transcripts of a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university 36-42 hours in School Counseling including a practicum; and
  • Copy of official score report of passing score the Content Knowledge Assessment (CKA) in School Counseling.

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.

NM PED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR eScrips can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable


Page last updated January 21, 2021