22-10A-5 governs background checks for all licensed school employees, including contracted employees (i.e. instructional support providers). An applicant for initial licensure must be fingerprinted to obtain the applicant’s federal bureau of investigation record. All licensed personnel must have a cleared background check before entering the classroom. Each background is valid for 24 months. If background expires BEFORE THE LICENSE IS PROCURED, a new background check must be completed. School districts may request a copy from an NMPED-background during the 24 months. An Application must be submitted in order for a background check to be entered into the licensure system. A person without a valid background check that has not been cleared appropriately cannot be working in the K-12 setting.
All applicant will need to register at Gemalto Information, CLICK HERE for link. Click on the NM Icon
- Click on Register Online for a background check
- Complete the registration
- ALL initial licensure applicants must use ORI# NM920140Z & Reason Code: TEACHER LICENSURE;
- Once registration is complete, you will take your receipt to the nearest live scan fingerprint location.
- Note: Gemalto has a fee of $44.00 that you will be required to pay when registering at their site
- Complete the fingerprint packet in your state
- Mail fingerprint cards to Cogent ID in California. (Information will be in fingerprint packet)
- Note: Gemalto has a fee of $44.00 that you will be required to pay when registering at their site.
- This process could take 12 weeks.
ONLY Out-of-State Applicants will need to request for a Fingerprint Packet by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
NMPED Background does not accept completed backgrounds from other states or agencies.
NOTE: When registering with Gemalto, you must select “Teacher Licensure” with ORI# NM920140Z, regardless of the type of license you are seeking. Failure to do so will result in a loss of your background check fee and a delay in the processing of your application. Applications will not be processed without a criminal background check done for “teacher licensure.”
The NMPED Office of the General Counsel is a team of professionals that will assist in educator license complaints.