22-10A-5 governs background checks for all licensed school employees, including contracted employees (i.e. instructional support providers).
All personnel required to hold NMPED licensure must have an appropriately cleared background submitted for the NMPED code TEACHER LICENSURE ORI # NM920140Z before entering the virtual and/or in-person classroom.
THE SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT BACKGROUND REPORT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF THE REQUIRED TEACHER LICENSURE BACKGROUND REPORT FOR THE NMPED. Employers are responsible for the School Employment background fees. Licensure Applicants are only responsible for the NMPED Teacher Licensure background fees.
An applicant for initial licensure and a licensee applying to re-instate expired licensure with an expired background must be fingerprinted to obtain the applicant’s current Federal Bureau of Investigation record. Each TEACHER LICENSURE background report is valid for 24 months and covers only current licenses after that time. If the background expires before the license is procured, a new background check must be completed. An application must be submitted online in order for a TEACHER LICENSURE background check to be entered into the online licensure system. Applications cannot be reviewed for issuing until the background requirement is satisfied. Staff required to hold a NMPED License must have on file a valid TEACHER LICENSURE background check that has been appropriately cleared by the NMPED to be working in the K-12 setting, in any capacity. The Licensee may request a copy of their own NMPED-background report during the 24 months.
All applicant will need to register with Gemalto at CLICK HERE for link. Click on the NM Icon
- Click on Register Online for a background check
- Complete the registration
- ALL initial licensure applicants must use ORI# NM920140Z & Reason Code: TEACHER LICENSURE;
- Once registration is complete, you will take your receipt and a current valid photo ID to the nearest live scan fingerprint location.
- Note: Gemalto has a fee of $44.00 that you will be required to pay when registering at their site
- Complete the fingerprint packet in your state
- Mail fingerprint cards to Cogent ID in California. (Information will be in fingerprint packet)
- Note: Gemalto has a fee of $44.00 that you will be required to pay when registering at their site.
- This process could take up to 12 weeks.
NMPED Background does not accept completed backgrounds from other states or agencies.
NOTE: When registering with Gemalto, you must select “Teacher Licensure” with ORI# NM920140Z, regardless of the type of license you are seeking. Failure to do so will result in a loss of your background check fee and a delay in the processing of your application. Applications will not be processed without a criminal background check done for “teacher licensure.”
The NMPED Office of the General Counsel is a team of professionals that will assist in educator license complaints.