Skip to Content

Elementary License (K-8)

Elementary License (K-8) 2023-02-10T09:04:39-07:00

An elementary teaching license authorizes an individual to teach in a self-contained classroom and may teach the core area of language arts, social studies, mathematics, and science up to grade 8 in a departmentalized setting. If teaching in a departmentalized setting, the individual must be considered Fully State Certified (formally known as HQT”), this means they must have a minimum of 24 semester hours in the core area or pass the midlevel content knowledge assessment (CKA) in the core area.

Initial License

Elementary NMAC Code

Renewal License

  • $120 (non-refundable) fee will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $150.00 would apply;(non-refundable fee); and
  • Renewal Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Superintendent’s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead); or
  • A notarized letter can be submitted if you did not teach on your New Mexico license(s) during the life of the license(s).
    • Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.
    • If educator does not have additional valid licenses on file, then must register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

Note: If an elementary license lapses for more than one year, the educator will be required to complete the following exam if  proof of passing is not on file:

Note: If you are renewing a level 2 or 3 expired license (expired for more than a year), you will be required to complete the following:

  • $150 (non-refundable) fee; and
  • Renewal Application; and
  • Superintendent’s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure from last employing school district (Must be on School District Letterhead); and 
  • Verification of 5 years teaching experience in New Mexico (must be on school district letterhead); and
  • Passage of the following PRAXIS exam: and

Superintendent Recommendation form

Elementary NMAC Code

Reciprocating a License

  • $150 (non-refundable) fee; and
  • Initial Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Provide official sealed transcripts reflecting a bachelor’s or master’s degree in an elementary program earned from a regionally accredited college/university; and 
    • If this was completed through an alternative teacher preparation program, please have that agency complete the NMPED Approved Program Completion Verification Form
    • And if applicable – Official Foreign Transcripts and Official Course-by-Course Transcripts Evaluation; must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501
  • Copy of current valid teaching license from out-of-state state education agency, Department of Defense School, or foreign country or a Notarized statement stating licensure was not required; and
  • Copy of Passage of Teacher Exams or a Notarized statement stating exams were not required; and
  • Verification of experience (Must be on Out-of-State School District Letterhead). Please break down experience by M/D/Y and please indicate the number of days taught for each year. 160 days commonly equals 1 full school year. Please use form below; ; and 
  • Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

Reciprocity Out-of-State Experience Form

No Exam Statement

No Out-of-State License Requirement Statement

Reciprocity NMAC Code

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.

NMPED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.


All fees submitted are non-refundable






Page last updated February 10, 2023