NMPED has developed a licensure advancement system for teachers in the 3-Tiered Licensure System. Teachers may complete the Professional Development Dossier (PDD) application in order to advance from Level I to Level II and to advance from Level II to Level III. A level 2 teacher can also advance via National Board Certification. A teacher may start the process of advancing after the third year of experience by completing a dossier. Please meet with your NM school district as the will give the initial approval and recommendation to advance your license. Each School district and Charter School has the discretion to recommend or not recommend teachers for advancement and renewal.
Advancing via Dossier
A Teacher may advance from Level One to Level Two or Level Two to Level Three by meeting the following:
- Has taught a minimum of 3 years on their Level 2 license
- Has earned a Master’s Degree (Level 3)
- Must register (and obtain guided instruction) to complete Dossier here: https://licensureapp.ped.state.nm.us/
Note: The PDD submission period begins July 15 at 12:01am and will remain open until 5:00pm, May 15 the following year.
Advancing Via National Board
A Teacher may advance from Level Two to Level Three if he/she has met the following requirement:
- Obtained the approval from their school district;
- Has taught a minimum of 3 years on their Level 2 license;
- Has earned a National Board Certification in their current focus area of teaching.
- Pay a fee of $120.00;
- Renewal Application via the NMPED Online Licensure Portal;
- Continuing teacher recommendation form (Also known as the renewal teacher recommendation form);
- Submit a copy of National Board Certification (include both National Board Award letter and certificate)