Skip to Content

Educational Administration (Pre K-12)

Educational Administration (Pre K-12) 2023-06-18T08:39:56-06:00

School administrators oversee the daily operations of New Mexico school districts. A school administrator’s responsibilities differ based on district policy; however, these districts must meet the NMAC administrator competencies. The school administration is recognized as a profession, with all the rights, responsibilities and privileges accorded professions, having their first responsibility to the public they serve.  The primary responsibilities of the school administration professions are to educate the children of this state and improve their members’ professional practices and ethical conduct.

Initial License

  • $150 (non-refundable) fee; and
  • Initial Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; and must include:
    • 18 graduate hours in Educational Administration Program; and apprenticeship or internship that consists of a minimum of 180 clock hours; or
    • 18 graduate hours in educational administration MBA (Woodrow Wilson Fellowship Approved Program from New Mexico State University or the University of New Mexico); and Apprenticeship or internship that consists of a minimum of 180 clock hours; or
    • CES (Principal Leadership Development); and Apprenticeship or internship that consists of a minimum of 180 clock hours. and
  • Holds a current level 2 or level 3A teacher’s license, or level 2 or level 3 instructional support provider license; and
  • Holds a post-baccalaureate or national board for professional teaching standards certification; and
  • Passage of the following PRAXIS exam: Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision; and
  • Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure.”

Educational Administration NMAC

Renewal License

  • $130 (non-refundable) fee will be valid for a one-year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period, a $150.00 will apply; and
  • Renewal Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Superintendent’s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead); or a notarized letter attesting that you have not been employed and used your New Mexico license(s) during the life of the license(s).
    • Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of the expiring year.
    • If an educator does not have additional valid licenses, they must register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure.”

Note: If you are renewing an expired level 3B license (expired for more than a year), you will be required to complete the following:

Superintendent Recommendation form

Educational Administration NMAC

Reciprocating a License

  • $150 (non-refundable) fee; and
  • Initial Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Provide Official transcripts reflecting a master’s degree earned in Educational Administration from a regionally accredited college/university; and
    • And if applicable- Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: course by course transcripts evaluation must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501
  • Copy of current valid Administrative License from out-of-state state education agency, Department of Defense School, or foreign country or a Notarized statement stating licensure was not required; and
  • Copy of Passage of Teacher Exams or a Notarized statement stating exams were not required; and
  • Verification of experience (Must be on Out-of-State School District Letterhead). Must have completed six (6) full school years either as a teacher or administrator with at least three (3) full school years of experience as a teacher. Please break down experience by M/D/Y and please indicate the number of days taught for each year. 160 days commonly equals 1 full school year. Please use form below; and
  • Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

Reciprocity Out-of-State Experience Form

No Exam Statement

No Out-of-State License Requirement Statement

Reciprocity NMAC Code

Required Internship: The apprenticeship/internship can be completed under the supervision of the college/university or  if completed under the supervision of a local school superintendent, submit a letter from the superintendent verifying the 180 internship hours and detailing how the educator met Administrator licensure competencies and indicators referenced in 6.62.2 NMAC during a school year (at least 160 school days and 180 clock hours). Letter must be on school district letterhead and signed by the district superintendent.

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.

NMPED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

All fees submitted are non-refundable

Page last updated June 18, 2023