Applications for all licensure extensions will be open from April 2024 and remain open until 11:59 PM on Friday, June 30, 2024. The extension application will be open/available only during this period.
- Do I need the support of my employer and the NM Educator Prep Program? Yes, please obtain a letter of support from the Educator Prep Program and upload that letter to the application. Then notify your employer that the application is awaiting their review/approval.
- Do I need the support of my employer if I’m on the OPAL (Online Portfolio) pathway? Yes, after applying for the extension, please notify your employer (district/charter/school agency) that the application is awaiting their review/approval.
- How do I obtain support? Contact your HR Director’s office and the Dean of the Educator Prep Program you are attending.
- Does the employer have to add approval to the application? Yes, the Professional Licensure Bureau will not approve an extension for incomplete applications.
- What if I’m not employed by a district/charter/school agency? We cannot honor an extension if you do not have a solid plan added to the extension application to be completed by your employer (district/charter/school agency).
- What does incomplete application mean? This means the application lacks the required information and supporting documents, and/or the employer (district/charter/school agency) has not completed their application section.
- Is there a fee to request an extension this year? Yes, there is a fee, which is $120.00
- Can 1CS licensure request an extension this year? Yes, after applying for the extension, please notify your employer (district/charter/school agency) that the application is awaiting their review/approval.
- Can an alternative license that has expired request an extension? No, educators must apply for full licensure in the licensure portal, pay the fee and upload supporting documents for the licensure they seek.
- Can a level one teacher request an extension for the Dossier? Yes, after applying for the extension, please notify your employer (district/charter/school agency) that the application is awaiting their review/approval.
- What if I didn’t teach during my 2-year alternative license (whether it’s 1 or 2 years)? The system will not allow you to apply for renewal; therefore, you must apply for the extension and upload the notarized statement for the licensure extension form. Please select the appropriate pathway and respond to the narrative questions to the best of your ability. You will not need approval from your employer (district/charter/school agency).
- What if my alternative pathway was the former NMTEACH or Educator Effectiveness Pathway; the only two options in the portal are OPAL and EPP? Please select OPAL; however, in your narrative, please state that you are in either NMTEACH or the Educator Effectiveness pathway, and you will upload the 1st page of your original application as proof.
- When is the deadline to submit an alternative extension request? until 11:59 pm, June 30, 2023.
- Which pathway do I select? **Please use the appropriate pathway when applying. If your pathway was through NMTEACH or Educator Effectiveness, select OPAL to bypass the system.
- EPP – Educator Prep Program (i.e., LEAP, CNM, SFCC, etc.).
- OPAL – Online Portfolio.
- Alternative Post-Secondary – If you initially applied via teaching at the college level.
- Dossier – you need more time to submit your dossier for advancement.
- One-Year Certificate (1CS) – if you completed a teaching program, but lack the exams.
Further Questions? LicensureUnit@ped.nm.gov.