Applications for all licensure extensions will be accepted between April 4, 2022, through June 30, 2022.
- Do I need the support of my employer and the NM Educator Prep Program? Yes, please obtain a letter of support from the Educator Prep Program and upload that letter to the application. Then notify your employer that the application is waiting for their review/approval.
- Do I need the support of my employer if I’m on the OPAL (Online Portfolio) pathway? Yes, after you have applied for the extension, please notify your employer (district/charter/school agency) that the application is waiting for their review/approval.
- How do I obtain support? Contact your HR Director’s office and Dean of the Educator Prep Program you are attending.
- Does the employer have to add approval to the application? Yes, the Professional Licensure Bureau will not approve an extension for incomplete applications.
- What if I’m not currently employed by a district/charter/school agency? We cannot honor an extension if you do not have a solid plan added to the extension application to be completed by your employer (district/charter/school agency).
- What does incomplete application mean? This means the application is missing required information, and supporting documents, and/or the employer (district/charter/school agency) has not completed their section of the application.
- Is there a fee to request an extension this year? No, extension fees are waived for 2022.
- Can 1CS licensure request an extension this year? Yes, after you have applied for the extension, please notify your employer (district/charter/school agency) that the application is waiting for their review/approval.
- Can an alternative license that has expired request an extension? No, educators must apply for full licensure in the licensure portal, pay the fee and upload supporting documents for the licensure they are seeking.
- Can a level one teacher request an extension for the Dossier? No, educators must have their employer’s Superintendent, Charter School Leader, or HR Administrator contact Seana.Flanagan@state.nm.us directly.
- What if I didn’t teach during my 2-year alternative license (whether it’s 1 or 2 years)? Please apply for the alternative extension in the licensure portal and upload the notarized statement for licensure extension form. You will not need approval from your employer (district/charter/school agency).
- What if my alternative pathway was the former NMTEACH or Educator Effectiveness Pathway; the only two options in the portal are OPAL and EPP? Please select OPAL; however, in your narrative state you are in either NMTEACH or the Educator Effectiveness pathway and you will upload the 1st page of your original application as proof.
- When is the deadline to submit an alternative extension request? until 11:59 pm, June 30, 2022.
Further Questions? Licensureunit@state.nm.us.