Skip to Content

Blind and Visually Impaired (B-12)

Blind and Visually Impaired (B-12) 2020-01-02T20:28:20-07:00

A blind and visually impaired teaching license authorizes an educator to teach students with blindness and visual impairment, birth through grade 12 defined under the federal guidelines.

Initial License

  • $150 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
  • Initial Application; and
  • Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; and
  • 24 semester hours in a program that prepares in the teaching the blind and visually impaired to include student teaching; and
  • 6 semester hours in teaching reading for those who first entered any college or university on or after August 1, 2001; and
  • 24 semester hours in teaching field, e.g., language arts, social studies, math, etc.; and
  • Passage of the following teacher exams from NMTA:

or beginning January 1, 2020

Printer Friendly Checklist

Initial Application


Renewal License

  • $120 fee, cashier’s check or money order will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $150.00 would apply; and
  • Application for NM Continuing Licensure; and
  • Superintendent ‘s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead).
    • Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.

Renewal Application

Superintendent Recommendation form


Reciprocating a License

**Out of State Licensure ICS– A one year certificate (1CS) is a provisional License. “Out-of-state 1CS” means a license issued to an individual who holds a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree who has completed a standard or alternative teacher preparation program, completed out-of-state teacher exams and has a valid out-of-state teacher license, but has no teaching experience.

Initial Application

Out-of-State Experience Form

Reciprocity NMAC Code

Your application will be returned if:

  • The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date; or
  • The money order is not completely filled out or signed. The Professional Licensure Bureau does not accept other forms of payment.

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.

NM PED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

New Mexico Three Tier Licensure System 

Level 1 → Exam or fewer than 3 full school years experience → $34,000

All first year educators will be issued a Level I Provisional Teacher License, a 5-year non-renewable license. A Level I teacher must advance to Level II by completing a dossier or advancing via summative evaluation application (please speak to your school district about advancing). The Level I teacher may advance to Level II after the third year of experience, but must advance to Level II by the end of the fifth year of experience at Level I. If the educator did not teach during a portion of the 5 years, they may submit a request to extend their Level I license for the unused time. A maximum of 3 extensions may be requested. Their extended licenses will then be issued as a 1D “limited” license. This is simply an indicator to the licensure bureau the educator received an extension to ensure that the 3 extension limit has not been exceeded.

Level 2 → 3 5 years experience → $42,000

Level 3 → 6 or more years experience → Masters Degree → $52,000

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable


Page last updated January 2, 2020