Skip to Content

Educational Administration (Pre K-12)

Educational Administration (Pre K-12) 2019-08-14T15:32:40-07:00

Licensure Code 100

School administrators oversee the daily operations of New Mexico school districts. A school administrator’s specific responsibilities differ based on district policy, however, these school district must meet the NMAC administrator competencies. School administration are recognized as professions, with all the rights, responsibilities and privileges accorded professions, having their first responsibility to the public they serve.  The primary responsibilities of the school administration professions are to educate the children of this state and to improve the professional practices and ethical conduct of their members.

Initial License

  • $150 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
  • Initial Application; and
  • Official sealed transcripts reflecting completion of a Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; and must include:
    • 18 graduate hours in Educational Administration Program; and apprenticeship or internship that consists of a minimum of 180 clock hours; or
    • 18 graduate hours in educational administration MBA (Woodrow Wilson Fellowship Approved Program from New Mexico State University or the University of New Mexico); and Apprenticeship or internship that consists of a minimum of 180 clock hours;  or
    • CES (Principal Leadership Development) or Carlsbad Alternative Educational Administration Program certificate of completion; and Apprenticeship or internship that consists of a minimum of 180 clock hours. and
  • Holds a current level 2 or level 3A teacher’s license; or
  • Holds a current level 2 or level 3 instructional support provider license; and
  • Passage of the following New Mexico Teacher Assessments (NMTA)

Initial Application

Printer Friendly Checklist

Educational Administration NMAC

Printer Friendly Version

Renewal License

  • $130 fee, cashier’s check or money order will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $150.00 would apply; and
  • Application for NM Continuing Licensure; and
  • Superintendent’s Recommendation form for renewal (Form will need to be signed by your current or last employing school district. Must be on School District Letterhead); or
  • A notarized letter attesting that you have not been employed and used your New Mexico license during the life of the license.
  • Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.
  • Note: If you are renewing an expired level 3B license (expired for more than a year), you will be required to complete the following:
    • $150 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
    • Initial Application; and
    • Superintendent Recommendation form for renewal from last employing school district from the HR (must be school district letterhead); and 
    • Verification of 5 years teaching experience in New Mexico (must be on school district letterhead); and
    • Content Knowledge Assessment in Education Administration

Renewal Application

Superintendent Recommendation Form

Educational Administration NMAC

Reciprocating a License

  • $150.00 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
  • Initial Application; and
  • Provide Official transcripts reflecting a Master’s degree earned in Educational Administration from a regionally accredited college/university; and
    • And if applicable- Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: course by course transcripts evaluation must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501
  • Copy of current valid teaching License from out-of-state state education agency, Department of Defense School, or foreign country; and
  • Verification of experience (Must be on Out-of-State School District Letterhead). Must have completed six (6) full school years either as a teacher or administrator with at least three (3) full school years of experience as a teacher. Please break down experience by M/D/Y and please indicate the number of days taught for each year. 160 days commonly equals 1 full school year. Please use form below; and
  • Copy of Passage of Teacher Exams or a Notarized statement stating exams were not required.

Initial Application

Out-of-State Experience Form

Reciprocity NMAC

Required Internship: The apprenticeship/internship can be completed under the supervision of the college/university or  if completed under the supervision of a local school superintendent, submit a letter from the superintendent verifying the 180 internship hours and detailing how the educator met Administrator licensure competencies and indicators referenced in 6.62.2 NMAC during a school year (at least 160 school days and 180 clock hours). Letter must be on school district letterhead and signed by the district superintendent;

Note: Your application will be returned if:

  • The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date; or
  • The money order is not completely filled out or signed. The Professional Licensure Bureau does not accept other forms of payment.

Note: Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.

Note: NMPED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable


Page last updated August 14, 2019