Skip to Content

School Counselor (Pre K-12)

School Counselor (Pre K-12) 2019-09-13T16:01:03-07:00

A school counseling license authorizes a qualified individual to provide a school level guidance program based on the American school counseling association national standards and focused on the physical, social, intellectual, emotional, and vocational growth of each student.

Initial License

  • $150 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and
  • Initial Application, and
    • Pathway 1
      • Official sealed transcripts Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, must have 36-42 graduate hours in school counseling to include a practicum in a school setting; and
      • Passage of the Content Knowledge Assessment in School Counseling.
    • Pathway 2
      • Licensed mental health counselor (LMHC) or licensed professional clinical mental health counselor (LPCC) issued by the New Mexico Counseling & Therapy Practice Board and a minimum of 6 semester hours of graduate credit in school counseling course work; and
      • Passage of the Content Knowledge Assessment in School Counseling.
    • Pathway 3
      • National Certified School Counselor credential issued by the National board for certified counselors Passage of the Content Knowledge; and
      • Assessment in School Counseling

Printer Friendly Checklist

Renewal License

  • $120 fee, cashier’s check or money order will be valid for a one year grace period for level 2 or 3 (from time of expiration). If the expiration date exceeds the grace period a $150.00 would apply; and;
  • Application for NM Continuing Licensure; and
  • Superintendent ‘s Recommendation for Continuing Licensure (Must be on School District Letterhead); and
    • Note: A School Counselor can renew their license to the next level when they have completed a successful school year (typically 160 days) and has received an evaluation (district based) after the 90 days from the start of a new school year.

Your application will be returned if:

  • The application is not completely filled out, lacking a signature/date; or
  • The money order is not completely filled out or signed. The Professional Licensure Bureau does not accept other forms of payment.

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background.

NM PED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR E-scripts can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable



Page last updated September 13, 2019