A School Health Assistant license authorizes a trained individual assists the public education department licensed school registered nurse with the implementation of the school health program, by providing delegated nursing services in the health room, including health screening, assisting with the administration of medications, basic first aid procedures, maintenance of student health records, and maintenance of a clean and orderly health room. The school health assistant may also perform nursing tasks as appropriately delegated by the public education department licensed registered nurse for the care of individual students with special needs, including diapering, range of motion exercises, and feeding assistance.
- $50 (non-refundable) fee; and
- Initial Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Eighteen years of age
- Copy of a valid certification in CPR; and
- Copy of a valid certification in First Aid; and
- Copy of certificate in NM Department of Health and Public Education Department training for school health assistants; and
- Superintendent’s Verification Form (must be on school district letterhead); and
- Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
Note: A 1 year temporary license can be issued when the applicant is lacking the NM Department of Health and Public Education Department training for school health assistants. Once the training is complete, the document can be submitted (within 1 year of application date) for the level 1 license without paying additional application fees.
- $50 (non-refundable) fee; and
- Renewal Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- Superintendent‘s Recommendation for support provider form. (Must be on School District Letterhead); and
- A copy of a current valid certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid certified.
- Note: A School Health Assistant can only advance up to Level 2 (Level 3 does not exist).
- If your level 1 support provider license has expired, you will need to apply for an initial level 1 license.
- If educator does not have additional valid licenses on file, then must register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
Renewal of Licensure Level
Level 1 → 3 year license
Level 2 → 9 year license, advancement to a level 2 can be obtained after 3 full school years of licensure on a level 1 license
A School Health Assistant can only advance up to level 2 (Level 3 does not exist)
2020-2021 DOH Health Assistant Training dates as follows:
- April 1 – 2, 2020
- April 8 – 9, 2020 **classes have filled up
Please check back for updates as there may be more training dates becoming available. School Health Assistant Training
Delay of application:
- Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list;
- If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.
NMPED Correspondence with Educators:
- Consultants correspond by email. Please check your spam/junk folder.
All fees submitted are non-refundable