Skip to Content

Substitute License (Pre K-12)

Substitute License (Pre K-12) 2021-06-07T15:36:22-06:00

A substitute license authorizes a trained individual to provide temporary instructional services when an assigned licensed teacher is absent from class.

Initial License

  • $50 (non-refundable) fee; and
  • Initial Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
    • Obtained a high school diploma or equivalency
    • You must be eighteen years of age; and
  • Submit a copy of the superintendent’s Verification Form; and
  • Register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

Printer Friendly Checklist

Renewal License

  • $50 (non-refundable) fee; and
  • Renewal Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
  • Superintendent‘s Recommendation for support provider form (must be on School District Letterhead).
    • Note:  The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.
    • A Substitute can only advance up to Level 2 (Level 3 does not exist).
    • If your level 1 support provider license has expired, you will need to apply for an initial level 1 license.
    • If educator does not have additional valid licenses on file, then must register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.

NM PED Licensed Teachers Substituting:

  • A licensed teacher does not need to have a substitute license when substituting a class. A teacher license will suffice.

Delay of application:

  • Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list.
  • If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.

NM PED Correspondence with Educators:

  • Consultants correspond by email; please check your spam/junk folder.

NM PED Licensure Transcripts Information

  •  Official Transcripts: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 OR eScrips can be sent by the university(s) to the attention of NMPED at the following email address
  • Official Foreign Transcripts Evaluations: Transcripts must be sealed and addressed to 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM  87501 (we only accept mailed foreign transcripts evaluation).
    • All foreign transcripts need to have a course-by-course evaluation completed. Click Here for a list of evaluators who are members of the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services (NCAES). The Public Education Department does not require nor recommend NACES listed service members be used. There is no “official” organization or regulatory body for foreign credential interpretation or evaluation methodology in the US. It is based on commonly-developed and agreed standards of good practice.

All fees submitted are non-refundable


Page last updated June 7, 2021