A substitute license authorizes a trained individual to provide temporary instructional services when an assigned licensed teacher is absent from class.
- $50 (non-refundable) fee; and
- Renewal Application via NMPED Online Licensure Portal; and
- Superintendent‘s Recommendation for support provider form (must be on School District Letterhead).
- Note: The earliest you can renew same level license is January of expiring year.
- A Substitute can only advance up to Level 2 (Level 3 does not exist).
- If your level 1 support provider license has expired, you will need to apply for an initial level 1 license.
- If educator does not have additional valid licenses on file, then must register for background/fingerprints for “Teacher Licensure”.
NMPED Licensed Teachers Substituting:
- A licensed teacher does not need to hold a substitute license when substituting a class. A teacher license will suffice.
Delay of application:
- Your application is lacking supporting documents listed in the above check list;
- If your license(s) has expired (and you do not have additional valid licenses on file), and your background was completed 24 months or more, you will need to complete a new background for Teacher Licensure. School Employment backgrounds will not be accepted.
NMPED Correspondence with Educators:
- Consultants correspond by email. Please check your spam/junk folder.
All fees submitted are non-refundable